Group known as RFM, Roma filmmakers is a independent voluntary association. Its main focus is on filming and photographing, but also creative art.
Its message is spread by three young Roma students on a voluntary basis. Their main aim is for the world to change its attitude towards the Roma.
The youth are using various means to draw people´s attention to their activities.
Below, you can read an interview with the
members of the association speaking about it in more detail.
- Welcome Karol, could you introduce yourself in a few sentences?
- My name is Karol Horváth, I am 22 years old, having spent all my life in Moldava. I am a student of a buddhist Dr Ámbédkar High School in Sajókazán, Hungary. A year ago, I was a student of filmmaking in Košice. Besides studying, I also have a job. I live with my parents, I am single and have no children.
-Dear Karol, I have heard that you are in charge of an organization called RMF. Could you explain who you actually are?
- We call ourselves Roma Filmmakers. We are an independent non-formal organization focusing on photographing, video and film making, sound and all spheres of modern art.
- Could you tell us how long has the group existed?
- We have worked under different names and with various aims ahead of us for a while.
I think it´s time to abstract from the Roma issue what´s positive; whether it´s culture, art, sport, fate or citizenship. These are the topics that concern us every day. It is sad that the majority only sees the negative, which is „ more visible. “ We have started working towards people taking the positive into consideration. The best way to achieve this is by means of video. That is why I have created this media group.
- Tell us what is your role in the organization.
- I have to say that I am the creator of the group; I have created ACATSUCE, MAN IN BLACK, AMATEUR FILMMAKER as well as ROMA FILMMAKERS. I am the one whose head has the idea came out of, I would say. Art exists and it is more than probable that it concerns us as well. When I realized the essence of art, I knew that I have to use the knowledge. That´s when I created with my friend Nikolas a small group called KND. We wanted to bring together people interested in any form of art. First, we did it as a form of art without any set goals. With the passing of time, we have gained more and more knowledge on the origin of the Roma. In 2011, AFM was created because we knew that it is not enough to draw the attention of a couple of people or teachers; the entire country needs to have the awareness. Since then, I have been striving for that as the head of the organization.
- So I understand that you are dealing with modern art but I still don´t understand what the role of the organization is – could you elaborate on that a little bit more?
- The Roma issue had been a taboo for centuries, even among Gypsy tribes up until the world congress that took place from 8 to 12 April 1971. That´s when the name „Gypsy“ was substituted for the term „Roma.“ In spite of the fact that we live in a democratic society where Nazism is a thing of the past, me and my friends often come across segregation. Nowadays, we are witnessing a trend of building schools for the Roma, the money being in the hands of the non-Roma. I am convinced that we can find educated young Roma in our country, be it doctors, lawyers or politicians.
- Do you work for somebody or is it just a hobby?
- As I have mentioned, we are not an official organization, but our aim is to become one. We are not working for anybody and we cover all costs ourselves. Even though the entire organization is based on that, we are a proper organization. The word hobby is not the right term, what we do is something more like a responsibility for us. We have the responsibility to „organize, encourage and teach“ as the teaching of Dr. Ámbédkár suggests.
- What about the technical side?
- Looking back, I see that we have made great progress. Two years ago, we did not have a microphone or headphones; today the organization funds its equipment. Even though it is hard to raise funds, every three to six months we buy some new equipment. We have two video cameras and four cameras, so if we need a new video or documentary, there is no stopping us.
- What is your main aim?
- The organization has decided that it has to draw the attention of people, to spread its message that we are here and we are responsible for the Roma – for the young Roma who want to deal with art, be it music, photography, video, tattoo, etc. We want to motivate them to take their lives into their own hands. We would like to do workshops and media camps for people to understand the meaning of the word friendship. We would also like to meet people of other nationalities and cultures and to experience the extraordinary feeling that they like your work and recognize it with a smile. This is what´s called the “art of happiness”.